Saturday 13 December 2014

12 Blogs of Christmas : Day 1 - My 2014 Winter Essentials

I know there's plenty of people out there in the blogging world doing Blogmas but since I'm new to the game I thought I'd ease myself in with a 12 Blogs of Christmas post. Starting today I'll be posting every day for the next 12 days. We're well into winter now so for my first post here are my top picks for winter 2014 essentials! 

1. Oversized Handbag : This one might just be me but I like to carry a hell of a lot of stuff. I like to use this black oversized bag from H&M for €49.99 which also comes in grey. It's a very simple plain bag with a zip pouch on one side inside and an open pocket on the other side, it also has a longer strap to carry it on your shoulder. This suits me because you can just chuck everything in and be on your way. I tend to use this bag for college as I can fit my iPad, notebooks, pencil case as well as my purse, umbrella, makeup bag etc.

2. Tartan Scarf : Tartan scarfs are a must have fashion accessory this season. Almost every clothes shop from River Island, Forever21, New Look to Topshop has some sort of tartan scarf in their autumn/winter collection but these ones in particular are from Penneys for JUST €6 (a fraction of what they cost in other stores) and they come in multiple colours. Definitely one of my favourite items for winter because I wear a lot of black so these scarfs add just a hint of colour to any outfit. 

3. Cosy Jumper : I think everyone needs at least one cosy oversized jumper for the winter. This one is my favourite and it was such a bargain from Penneys marked at €12 but it scanned in at just €5 at the till! Penneys and H&M currently have a great selection on cosy jumpers for extremely affordable prices. This jumper is perfect to just throw over a pair of jeans or leggings with a tartan scarf and simple pumps.

4. Ripped Jeans : Ripped jeans are also a huge trend this season. I haven't found my perfect jean brand just yet I tend to chop and change but I do really like the ones from River Island and H&M. If you're on a budget Penneys have some great jeans (unless you have thicker legs like me, it might be a little harder to find perfect fitting one, it's all trial and error, you'll definitely need to take a few pairs into the fitting room) you can DIY the rips in the Penneys jeans, there's plenty of YouTube tutorials on how to do it and you don't need to worry too much about ruining them as they are normally cheap enough to start with. 

5. Autumnal Lipstick : I am a very red/berry/burgundy toned lipstick person so I generally wear these types of colours all year round but when it comes into this time of year it's a little bit more fitting. As some of you may know I'm not a major lip product person but I do have a soft spot for MAC lipsticks. My current autumn lipstick favourite is MAC Diva! It is an intense reddish burgundy colour with a matte finish. 

6. Oversized Coat : This might be a no brainer for people in Ireland as it gets even colder than normal around this time of the year. Investing in a good coat is a must for me! Now when I say invest I don't mean you necessarily need to spend €200 for a decent coat. Penneys have really been upping their game this winter and their coat section is no different. This pink oversized coat comes in several difference colours including light grey for a mire €30! A slightly more expensive option but just as good comes from River Island for €80. 


7. Tights/Leggings : At the start if winter I like to stock up pairs of black tights and leggings because they're so easy to style and look out together while still being comfortable. You can easily just throw on an oversized jumper, a jumper dress, or a t-shirt dress with black boots or pumps for a quick put together look. I get all my tights and leggings from Penneys because I don't see the point in paying ridiculous money for those types of things. The tights range from €2 per pack & from €2.50 for leggings. 

8. Moisturiser : With the change in weather and it getting colder outside a lot of people will start to notice their skin drying out. My current favourite is Garnier Soft Essentials Hydrating Day Cream which retails in Boots for €6.79. Not only does it hydrate for 24hrs, but it also provides your skin with vitamins and a UV filter to protect it. I've been using this since September and I've been more than happy with it. I've had no flakey patchy foundation which I had a really bad problem with last winter. If I could only have one winter essential item, this would probably be it. 

9. Boots & Pumps : When talking about footwear most people would just stick with boots in the winter, which I do love like these Penneys black boots for €22 but I also like pumps especially these 2 pairs from again Penneys these patent wine loafers for €13 & these plain black loafers for just €8. I love all 3 pairs of shoes here because you can mix & match between outfits and they're all a bargain, you can't get better than that! 


10. Travel Mug : If you guys are anything like me I can hardly function first thing on a winter morning without a cup of tea, coffee or even a hot chocolate but I never seem to have time to run to a coffee shop before college so these cute travel mugs from yup you guessed it... Penneys for just €3.50 come in handy! They also come in a huge range of colours and style for both men and women. Also in the long run you'll notice you end up saving yourself money making your coffee rather than buying it every morning, WIN! 


Until next time guys, Alison x

No comments:

Post a Comment