Wednesday 1 July 2015

My Top 5 Eyeshadow Primers

For me eyeshadow primer is just as important as any other step in applying my makeup everyday, especially in this hot, humid weather we're having in Dublin at the minute. Using eyeshadow primer can really transform an eye look, it can look more professionally done and will be more long lasting. No more loss of intensity, faded out or smudges eyeshadow... WOOHOO! 

There are tons of textures, finishes, and packaging when it comes to eye shadow primer, but trust me, it’s not as confusing as it sounds. With most eyeshadow bases, when applying you should apply and blend onto the eyelid then I prefer leaving it to set for a minute or two before going in with any eyeshadow.



1. MAC Pro Longwear Paintpot
Paintpots are possibly my favourite eyeshadow base ever. They come in different shades and finishes, they can be worn on their own or with shadows layered on top. My go to shades would be Soft Ochre and Painterly. Both shades are the perfect 'skin tone' shade, Soft Ochre being yellow toned and Painterly being more pink toned. This is some heavy duty stuff, it has a fairly thick consistency and brilliant pigmentation which means it cancels out any discolouration and veins on the eyelids and gives you a blank canvas for your desired look. Sometimes I like to wear Soft Ochre on its own when I'm going for a more minimal makeup look. I find it best to apply with my finger for more control but this product also works well with synthetic bristle brushes. For oil eyelids this is your best option! 

2. Urban Decay Primer Potion
Prime Potion has been raved about since Day 1, it's definitely a holy grail product. The texture of this primer is the complete opposite to Paintpots, it is extremely thin and just as blendable. 
This is my favourite primer when using glitter or loose eyeshadow as the texture is more tacky and adheres more to loose products. No matter what product you are using over it, no fear they will go nowhere! This product would be more suitable for drier eyelids. 

3. Essence I ❤️ Stage Eyeshadow Base 
I would mostly only use this primer when I am fake tanned as it is quite pigmented, so unfortunately not suitable for extremely pale skin but when I do get to use it I love this product. Essence is an extremely affordable drugstore range, which doesn't disappoint. The texture is blendable and dries quickly, which means little to no waiting time before you can go a head with eyeshadow application.

4. E.L.F Eyelid Primer 
I currently have this E.L.F in the shade golden which has a slight tint of golden reflect when applied and it has a similar texture and consistency to the UD Primer Potion. The original E.L.F primer would be a lot more like the UD primer if your are looking for an affordable option. E.L.F isn't available in Ireland but can be purchased online from the eyeslipsface.co.uk website or beautybay.com. 

5. Cream Concealer 
My pick for using a cream concealer as an eyeshadow primer is Urban Decay 24/7 Concealer Pen in CIA (I love doubt use products!), others include the MAC Studio Finish Concealer or Catrice Camouflage Cream Concealer as a cheaper alternative. Any cream concealer will be similar to MAC Paintpots when using them as an eyeshadow base, but keep in mind the consistency and texture of the cream concealer. Don't use anything too oily if you have very oily skin and nothing too drying if you have dry or flakey eyelids. 

What are your favourite eyeshadow bases? Do you have any recommendation for me? 

Love, A
X

No comments:

Post a Comment